Located in Luján de Cuyo within a 95 acres property, the mansion was uninhabited and practically deserted when Emiliano Guiñazú bought it from Gumersindo Segura’s heirs in 1889.
Immediately and with great enthusiasm, Guiñazú and his wife, Narciza Araujo, set themselves to the task of transforming it into a summer residence.
In 1905, Fernando Fader returned to Mendoza after studying art in Germany and Holland. As a member of a prominent family which shared the same backgrounds as Emiliano Guiñazú’s, the connection between them came about naturally. Shortly after meeting, Guiñazú hired the young artist to paint the murals adorning both the gallery and indoor pool of the residence.
While performing this task, Fader courted Adela Guiñazú, daughter of Emiliano, whom he eventually married.
When Emiliano Guiñazú passed away, his wife, Narcisa Araujo, inherited the property. In 1945, through a testamentary disposition, she donated the mansion to the government with the purpose of transforming it into a museum which would be named after her husband. This commendable action allowed Mendoza to have a new Provincial Museum of Fine Arts which was named "Emiliano Guiñazú" – House of Fader.